Find out all the secrets of pursuing a PhD in French-speaking Belgium
Enjoying international recognition, a PhD opens the doors to highly-qualified positions. It is a requirement if you wish to pursue an academic career. To study for a PhD in French-speaking Belgium, numerous universities of the Wallonia-Brussels Federation can offer thesis supervision. They allow the PhD student to continue their research in both Belgian and foreign universities.
What exactly is PhD education in French-speaking Belgium?
In Belgium, preparing a thesis consists of making a contribution to scientific research as well as training research staff. This 3rd cycle is the highest level of university study and includes:
- PhD education: recognised by the awarding of a research training certificate, it is carried out as part of a research team and under the direction and responsibility of a thesis supervisor.
- The thesis: all work connected to preparing and defending a thesis, leading to the awarding of a PhD degree.
How to study for a PhD in French-speaking Belgium?
Fancy studying for a PhD in French-speaking Belgium? Before starting the registration process, you must choose a thesis supervisor for the field of research you would like to study. You may define your proposal with him and discuss its feasibility or any financing. He will also help you determine a proposal to the membership of the support committee, which will be submitted to the PhD faculty commission.
To choose your thesis supervisor, take a look at:
- the various university websites;
- the General PhD Regulation adopted by each higher education institution;
- the research directory on the federal scientific policy website
The FNRS, an essential fund for PhD studies in French-speaking Belgium
The Wallonia-Brussels Federation numbers 21 PhD schools. Whether themed, inter-university, inter-disciplinary or international PhDs, they all aim to structure and contextualise the PhD training of applicants and are all connected with the Fund for Scientific Research (F.R.S. - FNRS). For more than 80 years, the F.R.S. – FNRS has helped to drive basic research in French-speaking Belgium and has fostered excellence. By financing researchers individually and supporting certain research programmes conducted in the university laboratories, it fosters the production and development of knowledge.