How to apply for a Belgian visa as an international researcher?

If you are researcher who is not an EU national and wish to apply for a type D long-term visa, you need to:

  • be chosen by an authorised research body in Belgium to pursue a research project;
  • have stipulated a Host Agreement with the authorised body;
  • stay in Belgium for more than 3 months.

The standard procedure to obtain a Belgian international researcher visa

To obtain a Belgian visa as an international researcher, the first thing you need to do is apply for a residence permit from the embassy or Belgian consulate competent for your regular place of residence. If you are authorised, this authorisation will come in the form of a D visa. At this point, you will be asked to pay approximately €350 to cover the administrative charges.

Please note: once you have reached Belgium, remember that within eight days of arrival, you should head to the local authorities of your place of residence, to register with them and obtain your residence permit.

What documents do I need to provide to obtain a Belgian international researcher visa?

For each visa application, international researchers must provide the documents listed below to the embassy:

  • a hosting agreement signed by an accredited institution in Belgium;
  • a medical certificate;
  • a police certificate proving you have not been convicted of any crimes or common law offences.
The specific case of visiting researchers

If you are a visiting researcher taking part in a research programme and you have been granted scientific support and a salary, or a grant, you must apply for a B-work permit.